Thursday, April 15, 2010

Instant Connection

Yesterday I met an incredible woman. She is 10 years older than me and is going to be a new best friend. It was a God-ordained moment. She'd called the day before to ask for a ride to an event we were both going to attend. A mutual friend gave her my number, and she lives near my neighborhood. I found her house and there she stood in her driveway waiting for me, dressed to the nines in a beautiful navy dress, pink straw hat with a navy ribbon. Her gray hair peaking out from under the brim was shining and sparkling as were her eyes. She's a petite little thing with a broad grin. She hopped up into my red truck and we were off. The next 15 minutes were filled with quick, constant chatter as we learned much about each other. The similarities were almost identical. She too has two sons, both of hers are living in Colorado! One is in full-time Christian ministry! She loves them dearly and doesn't get to see them as much as she'd like. She was married to her first husband for 35 years and together they worked in Christian Camp Ministry! She'd put in many hours of duty in the camp kitchen. Her passions include fashion consulting (no common ground there) flowers, junk shopping, jig-saw puzzles, parties with her friends, and much much more. She and her present husband of 15 years moved to this area 7 years ago to care for his aging parents. What a sweetie! On the drive home we made plans to host a "tootsie" party on my back patio for a group of friends, (complete with foot basins of luxurious oils and cream-sicle floats for dessert) an antique shopping trip and a future flight together to Colorado. As we said good by, she smiled and replied, "Where have you been these past seven years?" I wondered that myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment