Wednesday, May 18, 2011

ADDICTED? ME?

Sometimes it takes a "straw to break a camel's back."  Or, "you have to admit you have a problem before you can solve it."

Well, MAYBE I've come to that point!  I'm thinking about it, not admitting anything just yet!!

 I AM ready to admit that I LOVE today's technology.  I'm never far from my iphone, computer, or other such gadget.  I embrace Facebook and I know how to Twitter! Checking e-mail several times a day is a given. I was one of the first in my neighborhood to have one of those tiny telephones hanging off my ear so I could TALK and do housework, drive, eat, etc. at the same time.  (My youngest son now forbids me to wear that!)  Needless to say,  I'm  proudly CONNECTED!

For a while now, I've tried to put this connectedness into  context.  You see,  I am from the generation that ALWAYS answers the phone when it rings, goes to my mailbox EVERY day for the mail and then reads it, ANSWERS the doorbell when it rings, SPEAKS to the neighbors when they walk by, TELEPHONES my sister and sister-in-law regularly because we simply enjoy each other and engages EVERYONE in a conversation everywhere I go.  Yep, I'm connected to PEOPLE!  This new technology just aids my ability to converse!

I'd rather talk than eat.  "Come sit by me and let's visit a while" is my mantra!  And I'm totally baffled when people refuse the offer.  They think they have something more important to do, whatever could THAT be?

SO, all that love of community FITS with today's gadgets. That's my story!

Until last night!  After cuddling up in our big king size bed, watching the ten o'clock news, kissing goodnight and turning off the light, I remembered that I had not checked my iphone to see if I'd received that last text message of the night from our daughter-in-law in Dallas.(She has a  new baby girl and  I wondered how she'd made it through the evening alone with the four little ones.)  I reached for it, clicked it on and it glowed!   I started pecking away at the little alphabet.

Honeybuns raised up in bed and said, and I quote,  "We've come a long way, baby!  It used to be flannel pajamas but now you've brought your iphone to bed with you!"

Do I need an intervention?

No time today, I'm headed out to check out the newest ipad!  Surely I NEED  one of those, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment