Wednesday, April 10, 2013

BLUE GRASS AND STEPHEN CURTIS CHAPMAN



Blue Grass is BACK!  Maybe it never left.  But it's not been playing around our house for several years.  I don't know why I've neglected it. I've ALWAYS loved it, amazed at the talent it takes to bring fabulous music from a banjo.

In the style of Mumford & Sons, Stephen Curtis Chapman and his flying fingers have just released a new CD titled Deep Roots! We found it at Cracker Barrel at Sunday lunch. The music is really good!  He has made some new arrangements of old hymns, sometimes including his father and other family members singing along. 

As he sings those old fashioned words  I am immediately transported back to memories of country days.  I can feel the sun on my face and see clouds of dust billowing up from dirt roads, usually by an old pick up truck!

As wonderful and up lifting as contemporary worship songs might be, there are NONE that relay the simplicity of  Blue Grass.  I'm thrilled that it's gaining in popularity!

The Chapmans have "deep rooted faith." It has been tested by tragedy in recent years and found to be the real deal. I suppose knowing their story adds to the authenticity of the words as well.  He sings of what he knows and he knows the ONE of whom he sings.

I like that title "Deep Roots."  There has to be a "drawing" upon the strength of deep rooted faith when trouble comes.  Jesus promises us a troubled life as long as we're on this earth, but also promises HIS presence in and through it as well. And THAT is more than enough. These old hymns teach that.

False prophets teach just the opposite and millions of people have swallowed that lie from the pit of hell: hook, line and sinker.  I hear personal testimonies of such grandiose statements almost every day.

 It goes like this,"God would NEVER allow a tragedy to come to my life!"   I shake my head sadly.  We live in a time when it's acceptable to  "make up" a definition of the Sovereign God just to fit our needs and foolish ideas. "Feeling good" is readily embraced at the expense of the TRUTH.

Music is powerful and the WORDS are important.

Remember this one,  "Be careful little ears what you hear!"

Call me old-fashioned, but my ears are enjoying TRUTH today, set to the music of a banjo playing Blue Grass.










No comments:

Post a Comment