Sunday, May 13, 2012

MOTHERS DAY GIFT

This is a chiminea.  It was formed painted, glazed and fired in a kiln somewhere in Mexico.   Honeybuns bought it Sat. for me for Mothers Day from a handsome young man named Julio!

I love it! 

I've been wanting one of these for a long time and I have great plans.

It's primary purpose is to smell up the back yard with smoke from pinion wood.  It instantly transports everyone within smelling distance back in time to campfires, prehistoric mealtimes, and communes out in the forests. It probably scares away mosquitoes, too! 

Other than that it's totally useless. Yard art of questionable taste!

We've decided that the folks in Mexico probably don't use one for ANYTHING.  They just make them for fools and tourists, with outlandish stories of cooking flatbread  filled with refried beans on a rock in it or something!

Julio assured us that he and his family own several, and of course they are indestructible.  (?)  When his family has a party they surround their guests with these things and no bugs come near. They choke to death! (The bugs, not the people!)

I'm thinking this is going to make a great fire for a suburban weenie roast.  I can see the grand kids huddled around sticking their little hot dog sticks right in that hole. Marshmellows will surely light up the nighttime sky.

We'll also learn to send smoke signals.  There must be a book or class or course on "language arts" for that as well. I'm going to talk my neighbor into getting one to see if we can communicate without the use of electricity, cell phones, ipads OR simply yelling across the street!

I wonder how many puffs of smoke means, "do you have an extra cup of sugar?"

Yes, this is going to be fun.  Adios Amigo!







No comments:

Post a Comment