Wednesday, September 1, 2010

CARWASH ACCIDENT


It is EVERY woman's nightmare, probably every man's too but they would NEVER admit it. The situation NEVER happens, but it's in the back of every mind when it's time to wash the car. There is a deep-seated fear of not being able to steer the left front wheel of the car into that little track as you enter the magic fingers car wash. You can't see it, you're just supposed to KNOW it's there. My heart pounds every time I approach it!

The unbelievable has happened. I had a wreck IN the carwash!! After slowly guiding my big red SUV in the right direction somehow my wheel got stuck SIDEWAYS in that track thing and I could not go forward or backward. The tire went flat as I jerked the steering wheel in frustration and the rim itself was bent.
BENT!!!!

The kindest elderly gentleman that was lined up behind me in his car waiting his turn saw my predicament. He jumped out of his car and came up to my window. After we both assessed the situation he patiently guided my steering and somehow we got that truck out of there. It was a mess!!!!

My truck limped around to the back of the carwash, I knew I should go no farther. I had to call Honeybuns for help.

I sat in the sun for about 20 minutes as he negotiated traffic to come rescue me.
He just looked at it and shook his head. You know sometimes it's better to just yell and get it out. We both nearly choked on the silence.

He changed the tire and we proceeded to the house. We had to order a NEW RIM and tire. ($$$$) The tire man never asked what happened and I never offered an explanation. How do you explain a carwash wreck? It's unheard of...it NEVER happens, right? And surely it would never happen twice in one lifetime!

I'm taking no chances.

Now I only go to the place that has a permanent attendant. We've become friends. I pull up, jump out of my car and HE drives my wheel into that track thing. He smiles, I smile and proceed through the spraying, soaping and swishing.
I think HE'S very brave...and I don't WANT to know what he thinks or says to his friends. Surely I remind him of his grandmother!

And I'm looking for one that hires Dumbo.

1 comment:

  1. I'm wondering if the picture of you and Dennis was taken after the car wash ops or prior to the ops!

    PS it's a good thing it was the old ford and not the new lexus!

    So funny, Good job I'm thinking Janet may send this around the world, you may become famous. mike s

    ReplyDelete