Saturday, January 14, 2012

LOVE YOU TO THE MOON.......


I don't know when this "tradition" started, several years ago for sure.   It became a goodbye phrase, a closing when writing a note, or sometimes a simple goodnight accompanied by a kiss  from me to a grandchild.  When spoken at painful goodbyes it's followed by tears and a promise of  "I'll see you soon!"

I DO remember that at first it was a "secret" phrase, whispered so no one else could hear, especially parents.

Then it became a contest!  I would whisper the phrase and the responses grew competitive.

 One whispered back,  "I Love YOU to Maui and back."  (Children have NO sense of distance. )

 After a while the competition grew stiffer, and another would add even more miles, "I love you to the moon and back a thousand times" or "I love you to the moon and back and to Denmark and back"  or  "I love you to the moon and back a million times."

How else can the depth of love be measured?

Evidently this has become my signature closing.  (Rubber Ducky will be my all time signature song.  EVERY grandchild has learned that one in our bathtub and each one knows their special solo at the end, "poo, poop a-doop!")

A few weeks ago Jamie became a representative for  Uppercase Living and designed this special piece of art  for our grandchild bedroom wall. She chose the fonts and the colors and it's perfect!  Honeybuns and I worked with yardsticks, tape, a level, a step stool and a lot of patience to get it stuck on that wall today.

 Sleepy eyes will see this the first thing when they wake up!  Even the ones that can't read yet will know what it says!

I can't wait for all of them to see it.  Each one will smile and know it's meant just for them.

It's a visual, just a measurement!    A terrific memory, PRICELESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment