Tuesday, November 18, 2014

MARRIAGE ANYONE?

Wow!  This is an oldie, but goodie!

I opened a basket today and there hidden away were several small picture albums.  You know, the kind we made BEFORE our iphones stored pictures in something called a cloud and before those fancy Shutterfly books that are SO fun to craft.  The basket was full of REAL pictures.  So, naturally everything on my "to do" list came was thrown to the wind as I sat down and mentally WALKED down memory lane!

This picture was taken 10+ years ago.  (Why didn't I put dates on the back of all these old photos?)

As I recall, it was a VERY special weekend. It was the Christmas Season that we invited friends and family to our house to attend the  Prestonwood Baptist Church Christmas Extravaganza!  AND THEY CAME!

Right to left:   Eddie and Linda Braner from Illinois, Jim and Deanna Beck from Houston, TX, Dianne and Pastor Bill Edwards from Illinois and us!  We lived in Plano, TX at the time and had driven out to Frisco to admire the "western" artifacts placed there.  This very "uncovered" covered wagon was the backdrop for this historic picture. I think we just grabbed a passerby and asked if he would snap this photo.  (I do that EVERYWHERE I go, people are always happy to oblige.)

The weekend was full of fun and laughter and we made some terrific memories.

BUT, what strikes me most about this picture today is not the memories of the holiday festivities we all enjoyed.

What impresses me today can be summed up in one word, STRENGTH!  These marriages are some of the strongest ones I know.  These couples have been through some bumps and some valleys, BUT not once has their commitment or love dimmed.  They are beautiful examples to all that know them.
They're in it for the long haul and their rewards are immense.

They have known breath-taking joys and heart-breaking pain.  They're scarred up a little and once in a while they still wobble through some issues. But there is no doubt that they will be victorious together.  Not. One. Doubt!

So what's the common denominator? How do men and women learn to do life together without killing each other?  You've got to admit, the sexes are vastly different in just about every aspect of humanity.  As I heard from one young person the other day, "sometimes love just isn't enough!"

I've analyzed it!  (You knew I would!)

The only thing I can come up with is that each one pictured...........knows and loves God.
Deeply!

Oh, not the god idea of Hollywood, superstition or popular opinion, BUT the GOD of the Bible.

They know the REAL DEAL!  They know how to  worship Him, silently and steadfastly.  They have a very healthy respect, high view and reverent fear of Him. They are NOT perfect but they have experienced perfect GRACE.  Their very personal relationship with the Sovereign Creator of the Universe puts this fleeting lifespan into  its proper perspective.

I'm so thankful they let us into their lives, the good and the not-so-good times.  They show us all how it's done.

And I'm very thankful for this picture today!  What a sweet, sweet reminder that good strong marriages are ABSOLUTELY possible in a culture that tries to tell us otherwise.

Any young whippersnappers curious?  These folks have some answers!








No comments:

Post a Comment