Sunday, July 8, 2018

JAYWALKING

Jaywalking is a crime!  Yessirree!  I'm speaking from experience.

A few weeks ago I was spending some time with the CO grands when I realized that while they were at school all day I had some free alone time.

As usual, when I am in a new place, I check out the local quilt shops. There are NO quilt shops in Breckenridge,CO  or surrounding areas.  All those skiers and no quilters??  I found that hard to believe, too. BUT...alas....there WAS a quilt shop in Leadville! Leadville was an hour drive up the mountain from Breckenridge but hey....I had plenty of time and Andy's car!

I set my GPS and took off.  It was one of the most beautiful drives I've ever experienced. Soaring snowcapped mountains lined both sides of that very empty, upward highway.  There are several "scenic spots" along the way to stop to take breathtaking pictures.  The scene was inspirational and I found myself smiling at nothing but savoring the beauty all around me.

Leadville is a small town, pop. about 3000.  Because it is "MUD" season in CO, the tourist population was almost nil.  Just as in Breckenridge, only the locals were there.  They were taking a long rest from the busy ski season, most shops were closed, minor repairs and clean-up was the order of business.  Life seemed to move at a snail's pace in Leadville that day.

I arrived at the small Victorian cottage bearing the sign QUILT SHOP.  It was darling and also closed.  The "clock" sign hanging on the doorknob declared, "back at 10:30."  I had more free time.

I drove around to the downtown street...yes, one main street.  No busy shoppers, no traffic, most shop doors were closed and locked up for MUD season. I parked the car and decided to walk the sidewalks.  No parking meters, no traffic, no parked cars visible....just me.

I strolled down the sidewalk on one side of the street, crossed the street and strolled back down toward where I'd parked.  No restaurants open, no shop keepers sweeping out their doorways, no dogs lying in the sun, no locals out walking.....nothing was happening in Leadville.

I crossed the street to the car. A policeman was sitting in his car at the stop sign at a side street, yelling.  At me????  I walked over to him.  "Sir? are you talking to me???"   YES.  You are JAYWALKING and about to cause a wreck!  I looked around.  WRECK?  (Wouldn't you have to have some cars in the road in order for them to hit each other?? I THOUGHT to myself.)

"YES, SIR!  You are absolutely right.  I see the crosswalk, right over there and I can assure  you I will never cross over in the middle of the block again".  We stared at each other.....

I turned and walked to the car....trying VERY HARD not to laugh OUTLOUD.  Are you kidding me?

That young policeman didn't LOOK like Barney Fife, but he must've have been related.

I made my way back to the little Quilt Shop and became instant friends with the elderly shopowner. I relayed my "jaywalking" story to her.  She was appalled, saying, "That new police chief is driving everyone crazy."  And backed up her claim with more funny and frustrating stories.

"New?" I asked.

"yes," she replied, "the old one is in the slammer."

I let that go. I'd had enough small town news for one day.

And THAT my friends is why I love the big city!  If you try to Jaywalk in Dallas, TX it'll be your first and last offense, you'll get killed.

BUT....Jaywalking in a small town on a street with no cars?  That's an AMERICAN right, don't you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment