Tuesday, July 3, 2012

COOKBOOK


There it is!  The newest cookbook from the women of Liter Baptist Church, Literberry, Illinois!  And it's a DANDY!

These gourmet ladies gather recipes together every so often and have them compiled into a spiral bound book to tickle the taste buds of all their friends and raise a little money in the process.  Right now the church is putting up a new Fellowship Hall so these books will bring in some funds for that. ($10.00 ea)

However, the people that buy these books are the real winners.  No where on earth will you find directions for such delectable delights as Texas Cake, White Chicken Chili, Homemade Noodles, Rhubarb Crunch, Brown Sugar Dumplings, Cracker Jacks, Parmesan-Crusted Pork Chops and Little Cheddar Meat Loaves!

I know, I know, you can go online and get a ka-zillion recipes for Eggplant or Vegetable Soup BUT, I KNOW these ladies and let me tell you this, "they know how to cook!"  I can see their faces in my mind and hear their voices in my ears when I open the pages.  No one stirs, beats or bakes better than a bunch of Baptist women that have served thousands of folks at pot-lucks, class socials, and funeral dinners.  These recipes have been tested and perfected for YEARS!

Forget those fancy cookbooks at Barnes & Noble, the recipes from the church win the blue ribbons, hands down!

I'm SO excited to get this latest copy.  I have a new goal of making and eating as many of these dishes as possible within a years time.  I started last night with "Cabbage Surprise," today Julie Besson's  Italian Beef is in the crock pot.  I'm making a note beside each recipe as to when I fixed it, how Honeybuns liked it, and IF I would change it in anyway. (big IF)  It'll be filled with personal notes by July, 2013.  (Think: Julie and Julia, the movie!) The Cabbage Surprise was WONDERFUL!

Honeybuns thinks I am WONDERFUL!  You know what they say, "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach."  Yep! It is true!

Wise folks are predicting that books, even cookbooks, will soon be obsolete.  Not at this house! I'll add this one to my collection of "church cookbooks" purchased and enjoyed from every state we've lived in, from every church we've known.  Those women are truly the unsung heroes of kitchens across America. Their wisdom might NEVER make it to the Internet, I'm not taking any chances.



No comments:

Post a Comment